The Vacation Extra course is designed for older teenagers and allows for more individual freedom, yet still within a safe and secure environment. Lessons are taught on-site while activities take place both on- and off-site. Accommodation is off-site, either in homestay accommodation or a student residence.
in Bournemouth, London, Oxford (UK) and Boston (USA)
About the programme
Maximum class size: 15
Minimum entry level: Beginner (Elementary in London/ Oxford)
Duration: Varies by location, minimum 1 week/ maximum 11 weeks. Please see individual locations for details.
Start dates: Varies by location
- Bournemouth: 10, 17, 24 June; 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 July; 5, 12, 19 August 2018
- London: 17, 24 June; 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 July; 5, 12 August 2018
- Oxford: 24 June; 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 July; 5, 12 August 2018
- Boston: 1, 8, 15, 22 July 2018
Arrival/departure: Sunday is the standard arrival/departure day (Saturday departure in Boston), with the course starting on Monday.
Age range: 14–17. In Bournemouth, students aged 13 are also accepted.
- 15 hours of English lessons per week
- Day time sports and activities programme (on or off-site). All transport costs are included.
- 2–3 optional evening activities per week
- One full-day excursion per week (entrance fee included)
- One half-day excursion per week in Bournemouth and Oxford
- Three half-day excursions per week in Boston and London
- Placement test and regular progress test
- Internet access at Summer Centre
- Welcome party and orientation
- Weekly laundry service
- End-of-course certificate
At all locations, there are 20 lessons per week (15 hours) of general English in international classes.
Your child will be tested on arrival and placed in the right class for their age and English ability.
The lessons will often include games, songs, group work, films, projects and magazine work to make learning more fun.
There are regular progress tests throughout the course, and at the end your child will receive a certificate to mark their learning achievement.
Activities and excursions
Sports and activities
Sports and activities programme from Monday to Friday, with daytime and evening activities. Activities located both on-site and off-site (transport cost included). Choice of up to 3 activities per session.
One full-day excursion per week (entrance fee included) plus half-day excursions (one in Bournemouth and Oxford, three in London and Boston).
There are various accommodation options for Vacation Extra students depending on the location they select:
- Bournemouth and London: Homestay accommodation, twin and single rooms available. Hosts are located up to 30 minutes' walk, or short bus ride, from the summer centres
- Bournemouth: off-site residence available 10 June – 26 August 2018
- Oxford: off-site residence available 24 June – 19 August 2018
- Boston: on-campus residence available 1 – 28 July 2018
Full-board with breakfast, lunch and dinner (both hot lunches, and packed lunches on excursion days).
Supervision and welfare
- Staff: student ratio of at least 1:15
- Supervision from fully trained staff during lessons, activities and excursions (free time after school and on Sundays)